Published On May 19, 2016
in Retail Real Estate Industry
ICSC’s RECon provides the opportunity to network and meet face-to-face with industry professionals from all over the country and across many disciplines. If you plan to attend, you should already have begun preparing to make the most of your time there, figuring out what you hope to accomplish during the event and how you plan to do it. The following are top five tips that Phillips Edison shares with team members it sends to RECon.
- Set objectives. Maybe you want to meet with the top five anchor tenants or the top two lenders. What are your goals? Have a plan.
- Find out which of your current contacts will be there and start scheduling meetings. Determine how you will use your time to solidify those relationships.
- Research who will be there that you don’t know but should. Consider making some cold calls to set meetings and introduce yourself to people you don’t know.
- Figure out which after-hours events will be most productive for you. Pro top: Pick the gatherings that will provide the best networking opportunities.
- Make a list of ways, besides formal meetings, that you can you plan to make more contacts. Examples include conference check-in; airport; on the plane; hotel check-in/out; line for coffee/food; shuttles; stranger to your booth; person you sit next to at a presentation; etc.
Remember, you may, hopefully, close or find some deals at this event. However, in the end, it’s all about networking. As they say, it’s not just who you know, but who knows you.